|NIOSH Database Search Help
use the NIOSH Database Search
To use the NIOSH Database Search:
- Select a category to be included in your search.
- Enter your keyword(s) in the "Search For" block.
- In the 'Using' section:
- Select "All Words" if you require the results pages to contain all of the
- Select "Any Words" if you wish the results pages to contain any of the keywords.
- Select "Full Phrase" if you require the results pages to contain all of the
keywords in the exact order listed.
- Select "Boolean" if you wish your keyword to be considered as a Boolean expression
(containing logical operators - see notes below).
- In the 'Search String' section:
- Select 'Whole Word' if you require the results pages to include only words
which match your keywords exactly.
- Select 'Beginning' if you require the results pages to include only words
which begin with your keywords.
- Select 'Ending' if you require the results pages to include only words which
end with your keywords.
- Select 'Substring' if you require the results pages to include words which
contain within them your keywords.
- In the 'Results per Page' section select the number of documents to be
included on each results page.
- Click the Arrow to conduct the search.
(NIOSH Database Home)
Additional NIOSH Database Search
This search ignores common words and characters such as
"where" and "how", as well as certain single digits and single letters, because
they tend to slow down your search without improving the results.
Hyphenated words are separated and treated as individual
words. Be aware of this when searching for complex chemical names. In such cases, using 'All Words' or 'Full Phrase' will improve search
Boolean logic consists of four logical operators which may be
used to customize your search to include and exclude words or groups of words by
using the following Boolean expressions:
- & - logical AND. For example, "benzene & toluene". Advanced Search
will find any URLs that contain both "benzene" and "toluene".
- | - logical OR. For example "benzene | toluene". Advanced Search
will find any URLs, that contain word "benzene" or the word "toluene".
- ~ - logical NOT. For example "benzene & ~toluene". Advanced Search
will find URLs that contain word "benzene" and do not contain word "toluene"
at the same time. Note that ~ just excludes the given word from results. Query
"~benzene" will find nothing!
- () - group command to compose more complex queries. For example
"(benzene | toluene) & ~xylene". Advanced Search will find any URLs that
contain "benzene" or "toluene" but do not contain "xylene".
(NIOSH Database Home)
What's Not Included In This
The online version of NIOSH's Database CD is
contained in separate databases and this search has been developed to retrieve
documents from these databases. If you wish to search SKC's general site, please
use the search options available in the left navigation pane.